It is not particularly easy to find the castle ruins of Landskron. The site is in a secluded spot near Altentreptow. The three-storey main building, measuring twenty-five by fifteen metres, was flanked by four towers and surrounded by ramparts and a moat. Attached to the main building was a little front building and the courtyard was lined by a chapel, various outbuildings and a gatehouse, of which considerable portions still remain today.
Only 100 years after its construction by Ulrich von Schwerin in the second half of the 16th century, the picturesquely-situated castle had already fallen into ruins.
Friedrich sketched the castle ruins in 1801 and used this motif in one of his watercolours and in 1834/35 in his now lost painting ‘Rest at the Hay Harvest’.